By default windows only allow us to eject the CD/DVD drive tray
from the explorer. But windows doesn’t allow us to close the drive tray.
There are software & tricks available that allows you to eject/close
your CD/DVD drive tray. But to use them either you have to open up explorer
or run a software in background.
But it’s more convenient & easy to open your CD/DVD drive tray from the
In this tutorial we are going to see how to eject & close CD/DVD
drive tray using desktop shortcut.
1. First download a tool called NirCmd from here
2. Unzip it. Copy the file “nircmd.exe” into your
windows dir ( for eg. C:\Windows )
Shortcut for opening/ejecting CD/DVD Drive Tray
3. Right click on a free space on the desktop.
4. Select New > Shortcut & a new window will appear.
5. In the location area browse to the path of the “nircmd.exe” file location
in this case it’s C:\Windows\nircmd.exe
6. Now put a space at the end of the line ( C:\Windows\nircmd.exe )
and type in this cdrom open h: ( assuming your Cd/DVD drive letter is H:)
So the whole line will look like C:\Windows\nircmd.exe cdrom open h:
Shortcut for Closing CD/DVD drive tray
1. Repeat the steps 3.4.5
2. Now put a space at the end of the line ( C:\Windows\nircmd.exe )
and type in this cdrom close h: ( assuming your Cd/DVD drive letter is H:)
So the whole line will look like C:\Windows\nircmd.exe cdrom close h:
To add an icon to the shortcuts follow this step
Right click on the shortcut. Choose Properties > Change icon
Select a suitable icon. click ok & click apply